Thursday, June 7, 2012

It's blackberry picking time!





I want my kids to have those memories. You know the ones where you wander through the woods, basket in hand searching for berries to pick. A few minor wounds from thorny bushes and fingers stained with berry juice - Those memories!

So after church we went to the farm and picked
blackberries - my dad, step-mother and Heather joined us. the kids LOVED every minute of it! It’s been hot and dry so the pickings were very slim but we managed to pick enough for a cobbler.

I even posted the family recipe below... I can't give you the crust recipe tho, I was sworn to secrecy!
*****

Blackberry Cobbler:

Need two pie crust

4 cups of berries

1 stick butter

1 ½ cups sugar {more/less to taste}


Directions:


Cook berries in pot with water {just covering}
Add butter and sugar
Bring to boil

 

Slice one pie crust into strips – Add strips to boiling mixture
Boil about 3 minutes then pour into 9 X 13 pan


Lay second crust on top and sprinkle with sugar
Polk holes in crust
Add butter slices

 
Cook 350 until brown and bubbly
{cook on cookie sheet in case it boils over}
Enjoy with Yarnell's vanilla ice cream


No comments: